Wednesday, March 6, 2013

ALWAYS go back to what you KNOW

Happy Wednesday, Everyone!

My mind has been running kind of helter-skelter this week and, quite honestly, I've really had to focus to keep myself from having a crying jag. In the moments of near hysteria, Jesus has a little trick that He uses to calm me. It goes a little something like this:

"Sarah, you're stressing out over what you don't know. You don't know where I'm taking You. You don't know what I'm up to. You don't know how things are going to turn out. How about this? How about you leave all the "don't knows" to Me and focus on what you DO KNOW? Come on, Love (what? God doesn't have a pet name for you?), tell Me what you DO KNOW."

I take a deep breath and begin, "Well...I know that I woke up this morning with health and strength in my body.""

"Yes" He agrees.

"I know that in a world with a struggling economy, I have a job to go to everyday. I may not make that much and it may not be the greatest job in the world, but its stable."

Again, He agrees.

"I know that You have given me talents and abilities that allow me to keep that job. I know that I was blessed to learn the importance of responsibility and integrity at an early age. That also allows me to keep my job."

"Yes, Love," He says. "You're getting the hang of this. Now what do you know about Me?"

Here is where I can't HELP but get choked up! "I know that You love me. That You never give up on me, even when I give up on myself. I know that I am nothing without You, but we are everything together. I know that You've never failed me and I know You never will. I know You have a plan and a purpose for my life greater than I can hope or imagine. I know Your timing is perfect. I know You are righteous in all Your ways and holy in all Your works. I know You hold the world in Your Hand. I know nothing takes You by surprise. I know You are the Author and Finisher of MY faith."

He interrupts, "Love, isn't it so much better to talk about what you DO KNOW, rather than what you DON'T KNOW?"

He's right, of course, He's God after all.

So...I was reminded again today...when I'm faced with uncertainty and frustrating situations, I should go back to what I know. Why? Well, first of all, it takes my mind off the stressful situation that I've been over-analyzing for WAY TOO LONG. Secondly, it puts me back in the right perspective: God is still on the throne and just because I'm confused doesn't mean that He is. And finally, it really does calm me and make me feel better.

Might I humbly encourage you to give it a try? :)


Sarah D

No comments:

Post a Comment