Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Children's Book Review {Merry Christmas!}

Glad Tidings of the Season to you all!
I hope this finds you enjoying the Spirit of Christmas
with your family and friends.
If you're anything like me, 
you're rushing around like a chicken with your head cut off
trying to find a few minutes to just sit and enjoy the Season.
My church Christmas Program is coming up this weekend
and my mind is consistently running in about 20 different directions.
But, yesterday, I made up my mind
 that I was going to take a moment or two 
and just enjoy Christmas.

One of my favorite parts of the Holidays 
is reading Christmas storybooks to any children willing to listen.
I also LOVE IT when they read to me!
I currently have a Kindergartener at Thomas Jefferson
who EXCELS at reading!
She has been moved up to an Advanced Reading class
(at least that's what she told me this morning...)
because she reads so well.
And, for the record, that doesn't surprise me one bit!
This is little girl is sharp as a tack! :)
She's one to watch, people!
I'm excited to see what she becomes when she grows up.

Anyway, enough bragging about my kiddos :)...
onto the Book Review!

To start off, we have Charles Dicken's A Christmas Carol (picture book edition)
beautifully illustrated by Brett Helquist.
This condensed narrative of the classic story along with the cartoon images 
nicely simplifies Dicken's story in a manner suitable for children.

Secondly, we have another another traditional Christmas tale 
that no Holiday celebration should be without:
Dr. Suess' How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

I don't think I need to say much about this wonderful book...
Dr. Seuss' writing and artwork are amazing 
and the whimsical rhymes of this book can speak for themselves!

Now, I bring you to some lesser known books...
but all worthy of a seasonal reading with your children! :)

Room for a Little One by Martin Waddell
The Legend of the Christmas Stocking by Rick Osborne
Nutcracker by E.T.A. Hoffmann
For me, if a book has a gripping cover and amazing illustrations, 
I'm going to read it...most likely, more than once.
These three books are three examples of this!

Sixth...I have to give in to my feminine side for a minute...
Would any little princess be satisfied without reading a Girly-girl Christmas story?
Enter Jane O'Connor's Fancy Nancy: Splendiferous Christmas
Again, this book's illustrations, as well as the words, make this book what it is:
an adorable story that will bring a smile to a little girl's face!

Next on the list:
The Light of Christmas by Richard Paul Evans.
If the author's name sounds familiar to you...
IT SHOULD!
Richard Paul Evans is the author of many literary works involving Christmas
including The Christmas Box, Finding Noel, and The Gift.
I think it's safe to say that Richard Paul Evans 
is almost as sentimental about Christmas as I am...:).
Just knowing he was the author of this story is what sold me on it.

Eighth, we have The Littlest Tree by Charles Tazewell.
Honestly, I had never heard of this book in my life. 
When I was book shopping on Amazon.com,
it popped up as "something you might like". 
Can I just say, "AGREE!!!!"
Great story about putting others ahead of ourselves...
and, of course, the magic of Christmas.

Ninth, I bring you The Legend of the Candy Cane by Lori Walburg

I believe I've said this before...
but the illustrations are what often times sell me on a book.
This book tells the history of the beloved Christmas candy
while completely surrounded with bright, colorful images that delight the viewer.

Finally, would any Christmas book collection be completed without
Clement C. Moore's The Night Before Christmas?
And can it get any better than the classic story embedded in Mary Engelbreit's illustrations?
I DON'T THINK SO! :)

In my opinion, these 10 Christmas Story Books are Must Haves 
for the Christmas season.
Even if you don't have kids of your own
(like in my case...),
FIND a child to read them to!
You won't regret it
and they will love the stories and illustrations included therein.
Who knows? 
You might just make a Christmas tradition
that you'll keep for years...:)

"A Merry Christmas to All! And to all a Good Night!"



No comments:

Post a Comment