Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Holiday Traditions #1 {The Annual Deer Creek Pancake & Sausage Dinner}

Hey there, Everyone! The temperatures outside are falling and we are getting into the time of year when a lot of people revive their old family traditions. These traditions could include anything from Christmas shopping on Black Friday to having a bonfire get-together to kick off the Holiday Season. With this in mind, I want to introduce a new blog attraction:

No promises...but I'm going to try to post a least Five of My Favorite Holiday Traditions between now and Christmas. Assuming that I am still an active blogger at this time next year, I will try to do the same, but again, no promises. I can't predict what this next year will throw at me.

Anyway...onto my first Holiday Traditions post :). And let me just apologize in advance for the poor photo quality. I didn't have my nikon with me, so these are all iPhone photos.

One of my favorite holiday traditions takes place in the beginning of November:
The Deer Creek Pancake & Sausage Dinner. 

This dinner is an annual fundraiser put on by the Deer Creek Intermediate School. According to the photos that line the gym walls during the dinner, this tradition began in 1951 and has continued very successfully every year since. To me, that is AMAZING!

My family (which includes my "adopted" grandparents and their family) has participated in this annual, $8 all-you-can-eat food-fest for as long as I can remember! (The prices have increases over the years.) My mom tells stories of going before I was born as well.

My grandparents live in Eureka which isn't far from Deer Creek. For years, Grandpa would sell tickets for a child who attended the school at that time.

Every time Grandpa announced that he had Pancake & Sausage tickets, I would literally get a thrill down to my toes! :) On the day of, mom would pack up a small container of peanut butter to slather on our pancakes (because that topping is not supplied at the dinner) and then we would jump in the car for the 30 minute drive to the school. Sometimes we would drop our car off at Grandpa & Grandma's house and ride with them. Other times we would just meet them there. No one really cared how we got there as long as we got there in time to eat! :)


























In addition to world-class pancakes, other food items served include applesauce and cottage cheese. Once upon a time, carrot sticks were also on the menu, though I never quite understood that. Maybe something to do with the nutritional value of the meal...Traditional breakfast beverages (coffee, milk, chocolate milk) and water make up the liquid portion of the meal.

So, at this point, I think I know what you're thinking. "This Pancake & Sausage Dinner doesn't really sound all that fantastic." And, you're right. It's not the food or the atmosphere (although I think both are at least satisfactory) that makes this a favorite holiday tradition for me, it's who I'm with and how much fun we have with one another.

This tradition permits us to have extra time with near and dear ones in a setting that we have made our own. Beyond 2006 when we attended a wedding, I cannot think of a year that we as a family have missed the Pancake & Sausage Dinner. It's literally something we look forward to every year and try our best not to miss. :)

Do you have any favorite holiday traditions 
that maybe most people wouldn't understand? 
Are you looking to start any new traditions this Holiday Season?
I would LOVE to hear you stories!

Thank you so much for visiting today!
I hope you stop by again soon!

LOVE,

No comments:

Post a Comment