Friday, February 6, 2015

Dear Little One {February 4, 2015}

Part One:

Dear Little One,
I don't know you yet. You're still very much a stranger to me, but I want you to know I absolutely cannot wait to meet you. I'm very excited to see what color your eyes are, if you have hair or not. At this point, I don't even know if you're a boy or girl...but again I cannot wait to meet you. You probably don't know this yet, but I'm sure you will be told quite often over your lifetime: you are a Miracle. A gift directly delivered from God. And I am ever so thankful for you.

Your family is very special to me and I have no doubt that you will add to that specialness. If you grow up to be anything like your big sister and brothers, I'm sure you're going to have a curious streak. You're going to ask a lot of questions and probably stump the adults in your life at least a time or two. That kind of stuff is good for us adults. It keeps us on our toes. Never stop asking questions.

Now, I'm going to give you a warning: Sometimes life isn't fair. Sometimes it hurts. And sometimes it doesn't make sense at all. Those times are hard to handle and even more difficult to understand, but here's the secret: those bad times won't last forever. They are only temporary. I promise. I also promise that there will be lots of good times. With lots of giggles and sunshine, yummy food and cuddles. Your family will always be there for you...through everything. And that is a guarantee.

Something that is very important to me that I hope someday becomes important to you is: Reading. Reading is one of the most magical experiences a person can have in life. Reading will take you places your feet will never be able to go and make you feel things you may never have felt otherwise. I'm going to be honest: it's not always easy learning to read, but once you have, I promise it will be lots of fun! Please, pretty please...just humor me and try it.

I have one last thing to tell you, Precious Baby, before I sign off. I want you to know that you already have a place in my heart that no else can ever fill. I already love you with my entire being and I promise that will never change. Even if you grow up to have green hair on your head and purple polka dots on your skin. Even when you have grumpy days. Even when you make bad choices...because we all do every now and then. Even then, I promise to love you forever. But even more important than all of that, I promise that Jesus will love you no matter what. It was through His miraculous power that your mommy was able to become pregnant and carry you for nine months. That same miraculous power will be available for you as long as you have breath in your body. Jesus loves you and, just like I do, has a special place for you in His heart that no one else can fill. I hope and pray that someday you will know through personal experience how much Jesus loves you. And I hope I can be there to see it.

I love you, Little One. And I haven't even met you yet. 

Part Two:

Dear Little One,
I have now had the privilege of meeting you. You are beautiful and beyond sweet. I saw you for a few moments before you were hustled off to the hospital nursery...and I fell even more in love with you than I already was. I stood outside the nursery windows and took countless photos of the scrub-attired angels taking care of you and your daddy watching over you. You gave us a little bit of a scare at first. Your blood sugar was low, but came right back up after you were given a bottle. Then, however, you had some issues with your oxygen level. It wasn't terribly low, but it wasn't sufficient either. I'm going to be honest, I shed more than a few tears watching you receive supplemental oxygen. I sang to you through the window about the Peacekeeper Who controls the wind and the rain. Your family and I placed you into Jesus' capable Hands and after a few hours, your oxygen level came back up to normal and you were just fine.

I didn't get to hold you tonight, I had to go home and get some rest. And I wanted your mommy and daddy to get as much time with you as they wanted without having to share you. But don't worry, I'll be back very soon. And I'm very excited to hold you and cuddle you and kiss you.

I love you, Little One. And I'm very glad I was there when you arrived.


Welcome to the World, Findley Alexander Darrell DePinto!





No comments:

Post a Comment