Wednesday, April 16, 2014

A Fishy Craft with the Kiddos {100th Post Celebration}

Good Morning, Everyone!
I hope this finds you doing well!

I'm VERY excited to be here today.

Why?
Because this post is my 100th Post!
When I first initiated this blog, 
I really wondered if I would keep up with it.
It was really fun at first,
but I thought there might come a time when I just let it fall to the back burner.
However, it's been over a year
and now here I am writing my 100th post,
so I think it's safe to call this blog a success :).

The focus of today's post is an art project with my Thomas Jefferson kiddies.
I feel this is beyond appropriate for my 100th post.
And I would like to take a second to tell you why :).

Kids have ALWAYS been a HUGE part of my life.
From the time I was still a child myself,
I loved playing with little kids and babies
and tending to their needs.
I believe that every child is a gift from God
and deserves to be treated as such
(even when they act like perfect terrors).

As I said before, I believe it is beyond appropriate that my 100th post
revolve around an art project with my little lovelies :).
A few weeks ago,
I initiated Napkin Painting at Thomas Jefferson.
What the heck is Napkin Painting?
Well, Napkin Painting is an art technique I invented
because the YMCA is completely broke
and cannot afford to buy new paintbrushes for my little darlings.
Basically, you mix water with powder paint
and then dip the napkin into the paint
and use the napkin as if it were a large paintbrush.

Naturally I supervise the children VERY CLOSELY while doing this.
(Ugh...I'm having awake nightmares of paint dripping
from every surface in that school cafeteria.)
They actually did pretty good with it
(we have used this technique twice and been successful both times).

The most recent occasion that called for napkin painting was:
Paper Plate Fish Bowls.
These were SUPER easy and turned out great!
I gave each child a paper plate
and had them napkin paint it with blue paint.
Previously I had drawn a very simple fish template
and copied it onto different colors of paper.
While the paper plates were drying,
I let each child pick whatever color fish they wanted,
then had them mix colorful glitter with glue
and paint their fish with the homemade glitter glue.

Next, I had them glue their fish to the light blue paper plate.
Then I had them add dried beans to the plate
to look like rocks on the bottom of a fishbowl.

Finally, I had the children cut pieces of tissue paper into strips
and glue them to the "fishbowls" to look like seaweed.

I absolutely LOVE them!

What do you think?

Have you ever "invented" a new technique or way of doing something for financial reasons?
Was it a success?

I would love to hear about it!

Have a great day!
Visit again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment